Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Art" Exhibit and Lazy Sunday

Hey guys!

I wanted to let you know what I did this weekend because it was vastly different from La Paz but just as fun.

Friday I hung out with my housemates and the Irish guy and watched "Run, Fatboy Run" (a stocking stuffer from mom) and had a glass of red wine and chatted. That was the night I made Corn Flake puppy chow.

Saturday I finished "The Reliable Wife" so I could lend it to my airport girlfriends(which I did today at our coffee/book borrowing lunch). We watched soccer all afternoon and then headed over to the main office/house for the "art" exhibit. I put art in quotations because it was a british girl's sugar sculpture of what seemed to be a hat with fabric and feathers all over. It was her only piece of art. See- Sustainable Bolivia has an artist in residence at all times, and I think the norm is to show off what you've been working on while here. There was a live band in the small backyard that had amps (which were completely unnecessary). I chatted with people when the band wasn't playing-when we could hear each other-and talked to the Spaniard again. It was a relaxing night and I was in bed by midnight.

Sunday I got up early to go with a couple girls to the market for fruit. On the way to the market one of the girls introduced me to a breakfast drink called a vitaminico which has oats, honey, bananas, and some other fruit thing. It was delicious. One of my housemates leaves tomorrow so we were having a celebratory brunch for her (scheduled to begin at 1:00pm). (Not as delicious as the Jamba Juice breakfast yogurt parfait peanut butter thing -ahem Rachel and Dad- but good). My contribution was a fruit salad with pineapple, apple, canteloupe, bananas, and oranges. We also had juevos rancheros, guacamole, scones, crepes, cookies, and an assortment of juice drinks. The first soccer game began at 10:00am and some volunteers who don't live here stopped by to watch as well. We ate at around 2 and watched more soccer. After the game we put in Dear John, followed by Adam. It was another great day and I got to bond with my housemates.

So- Wednesday I'm leaving for the Salar, I'll try to find a web page describing it and post it tomorrow, because I only half know what it is. It's really far away so I won't be back until Monday or Tuesday of next week. The Salar is, as far as I know, salt flats. It is supposed to be a must-see, beautiful, and freezing. I'm spending tomorrow buying some more warm clothes. This also means the blog might not be updated until the middle of next week- and you can look forward to another saga describing my trip!

Love always,

Hillary

1 comment:

  1. Hil,
    Sounds like you're having a ball! Have fun on your trip and be safe!
    Love you,
    Grandmama

    ReplyDelete