Sunday, November 7, 2010

Time Warp

Why hello there!

Something very strange just happened where technology was both the problem and the solution.

I woke up to the ringing bells of the church 7 feet away from us. Every Sunday these dang bells ring every second for about 10 minutes around 10:25 am. It's awful, and it has become my Sunday wake up call. This morning the bells rang, I checked my American cell phone to make sure it really was 10:25 (the bells also go off around 9 am but only for about 5 minutes). It was, and I got up and took a shower, then I dried my hair. I opened my computer, and the time on my computer read 10:04 am. I wondered if I really had checked my American phone (it's the one I sleep with for when I need an alarm) so I grabbed the closest phone to me; my French phone from off of my desk. It said 12:04 am. Now truly alarmed, I walked over and grabbed my American phone from off of the top bunk. It said 11:04.

I felt really panicky for a second. I knew that it was daylight savings day in the states, but the satellites shouldn't have told my phone(s) to change the time because in Europe it happened a week ago! "What am I going to do?" I thought. "How will I know what time it really is!?" I figured my American phone was probably right because of the bells, and because it usually doesn't ever automatically change a time zone. But then again..neither does my computer or my French phone!

"Aha!" I had it. I opened google and I googled "what time is it in Paris right now."

Problem solved! Who needs Harriet the Spy when you've got google? Let me know if anyone has any other mysteries they need solving, I can probably pencil it in my schedule.

-H.



1 comment:

  1. You're losing it! It's just about time to come back to the States.
    love yu-
    grandmama

    ReplyDelete