Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Sights and Sounds of Bolivia

Hey folks!

My time in Bolivia is nearing its end! I've been here for 7 weeks and have a few weeks left but I'm still seeing things that shock me. I'm going to share with you what I saw a couple days ago on the main road near my house as I walked home from the post office.

I was walking down the sidewalk in the sun without shades so I was kind of staring at the ground. Even though I wasn't looking much around me I still noticed a (homeless I assume) man sitting on a concrete block, asleep. I also noticed his skin was really ashen looking and he didn't have shoes; his feet were filthy. Instantly as I glanced over at him I noticed that there was something very large on his shin. At first I'm pretty sure my brain realized what I was looking at but something wasn't clicking, maybe I didn't want to truly see it after all because I thought he'd spilled jam on his leg or something. But no.

His entire shin was gone. His leg was still there but it didn't look like a leg. The best way I can describe it is that his leg was sort of, open. It was as if there was a special window that let me see inside his leg but something inside wasn't right. There was no bone where there should've been bone, and no muscle where I thought I'd see muscle. Inside his leg was orange/pinkish bits of what looked like jello except it wasn't transparent. His wound went so deep that I was really preoccupied by the fact that I couldn't see his bone. It was enormous and it took up the entire length of his shin. There was yellow pus oozing out of it onto where his skin began.

I saw all this in about 4.5 seconds as I walked past him. I stopped about a block down from him to turn around and see how other people were reacting to it. No one seemed to give it a second thought. It definitely wasn't a burn and it couldn't have been a puncture wound either. All I can guess is that he has some sort of infection in his leg from what may have began as a smaller wound. I have never in my entire life seen a wound that bad. I didn't really know if I should be crying or throwing up, because I felt like doing both. I also didn't want to stay nearby because I felt like just by looking at it I was going to catch something.

I know this post was a bit more somber than usual! I apologize for the graphic detail but I wanted to share with you all of my experiences here, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Much love,

Hillary

2 comments:

  1. Sounds horrible. The worst part seems to be that it didn't bother anyone else
    Grandmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are sensitive to such things as ailing homeless people. This brings to light the serious need for Global health improvements, including Doctors, Nurses, Supplies and Facilities.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete